Both machine and web config files are xml format files.
The settings made in web.config file are applied to that particular web application only, whereas the settings of machine.config file are applied to whole ASP.Net applications in the machine (machile.config is configuration file for all the application in the IIS)
- This will be installed when you install .Net framework.
- Only one machine.config file can exist on a server/machine.
- This file is at the highest level in the configuration hierarchy. The machine.config file is the master config file on your system with default settings.
- It can be found in “Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\\CONFIG” folder (or in WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\\CONFIG)
- .Net applications cannot be executed without the machine.config file.
- It can be overridden by web.config file.
- Automatically created when you create a web application project.
- More than one web.config files can be added for a single project.
- This file inherits the settings from machine.config file.
- Web.config file resides only in the application folder, if the application has one.
- The application can be executed even without the web.config file.
- Web.config (parent) file can be overridden by another web.config file (a child web.config file)